- 1 block of extra firm tofu drained
- 1/2 red pepper cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped into cubes
- 3 leaves of kale chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 small handfuls of Cheddar Daiya “Cheese” (optional)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sea salt
- a splash of water
- A handful of cherry tomatoes cut into 4ths
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- some chopped up fresh basil
- Pour about two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and wait about two minutes until it starts to get hot. Add the red pepper and onion and cook for about three minutes stirring occasionally until the onions start to look opaque. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, a pinch of sea salt, the paprika, red pepper flakes, and the lemon juice. Start to crumble in the tofu, but don’t smash it because you still want to have some large pieces. Mix everything together and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. If you notice that pieces start to stick to the pan, then you will want to add a splash of water. After cooking for about 10 minutes, stir in the kale. When the scramble is almost finished, add in the Daiya cheese by sprinkling it in while stirring. Once you feel like everything is all mixed together you can turn off the heat, put on a plate, and garnish with the basil, avocado, and tomatoes!
The worst thing that I can do is make a dish, then sit in front of the tv because the food ends up not being the total focus. Music is a good distraction while I am still able to enjoy my culinary masterpiece. I was really happy with how my vegan tofu scramble turned out. The Daiya cheese is always optional. I like it in small doses. From what I remember, it comes really close to the taste of a skillet. It would also be good with green onions or sautéed mushrooms, and some breakfast potatoes on the side.
My Favorite Vegan Breakfast Cookbook!
Do you have a favorite tofu scramble recipe? What about a favorite vegetarian breakfast recipe? I haven’t spent much time cooking vegan breakfast, so I’m counting on you to share yours in the comments…!!!